Sunday, September 4, 2011

six years is totally legit

It was our anniversary yesterday. We've had six years together now and its a little nuts to look back and see the progress. I'm sure at sixty years (can we make it that far?? I'd be 86...) the progress will be even more apparent. But I'm glad with what we have now. Both Kolt and I have grown up a few years. Learned a few tricks. Gained a few kids (although the one is still cooped up inside me and kicking my organs.) 

I think about my cousin who's about to tie the knot and what advice I'd give her. I came up with this:  marriage is work. Hard work. I didn't expect all the times I had to consciously decide to be nice or forgive or not walk out the door (only a few of those so far...) But through the work and tears emerged this beautiful thing. It even still has its ugly moments but now I know they are there to contrast all the good we share. They keep it real and don't last as long as they used to.

I smile as I think about our date yesterday. Kolt apologized about the fact that it didn't go as he planned but I loved it. He took me to a gallery in SLC and it was so much fun walking around and talking about the art and what we'd bring home if we had a spare 20K in our wallet. And then we had some time and a hungry prego lady so we found the Tulie Bakery and shared a tart and some of their morning buns. And then we walked around Trolly Square until I was about passing out from exhaustion (no nap that day for me) so we ended up at a movie and then headed home.  It was perfect and simple. and I loved it.


Family pics 2011 Summer (11 of 16)

5 comments:

Julie said...

Happy anniversary! Sometimes things going not as planned turn out even better.

Rachel said...

Happy Anniversary! xoxo from me!

Carrie said...

Agh! Remember when I talked to you and totally forgot to wish you a happy a-day even though I marked it on my calendar? Blast. Sounds like a truly marvelous day though. Happy six years to you both.

Stephanie said...

Happy anniversary! :)

Stephanie said...

P.S. I was just remembering that one night I was so mad at Matt that I slept at your house. You're such a good friend. I'm sad I didn't get to see you before we moved. We should try to remedy that if I move back for the summer. :)