Sunday, September 20, 2009

Days of Melon

Melon Days. A success in my book. We went to good ol' Green river, Utah this weekend to participate in the annual awesomeness of melony goodness. And it was. First, we set up the booth:

And then destry played a lot. He re-met Charlie, his redheaded counterpart. Both the only grandsons on this side of the family, both redheads.

Then we had a near-death cousin pile. Awwwww, how cute!! Then Destry lunges to his death but luckily aunt shuanee was there to make the catch. And my heart skipped a beat. but no harm, no foul. You can see him in the picture looking at the ground, thinking he needs a closer look....
Then Destry watched the parade and to my suprise he didn't even care when the sirens drove past. Usually he gets scared of screaming kids and sirens. Sometimes in that order. Sometimes not. He does well with everything else in this world: vacuums, mixers, mom yelling at the dog. You know, the usual.

Destry loves his cousin Jaci. Maybe a bit too much since he tried to eat her. She's sweet and all, but I'm not so sure she's on the list of what a 5 1/2 month old can eat.

Now, this was in order since it was melon days and all. I've tried to feed him watermelon (that was for you, carrie) but he didn't really like it. Although, his memory was short and still wanted mom's piece of melon to squish and to hold for about .2 seconds before we said "Sike!"

Kolt decided Destry needed a new hat and sunglasses. Who am I to disagree with that logic? What logic, you ask? Exactly.

(he may look not pleased to be wearing them but I assure you, he was only extremely tired. We'll convince him eventually)

And Grandma Ree was oh-so-nice in agreeing to be Destry's personal fan. We had to strip the poor kid down so he could cool off a bit. It was pretty hot and we blamed a lot of it on the "kettle corn" booth that was our neighbor during the day. Next year, we'll request someplace that doesn't generate additional heat.
Aaaand last but not least we had to get a red-neck photo with Destry's dad's cousin Weston. It was just too funny to have my son walking (ok, carrying) around without a shirt on. I wasn't doing the carrying, though. I was hard at work. But thanks, auntie jessi, for getting this photo. Makes me giggle.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

hahah thanks for trying with the watermelon! It's not complete until he barfs bright red on you though. :)

How did the tie selling go?

laura d said...

ties sold pretty well, I even did a few custom orders for toddlers. It was worth going, although I think next year I'm going to work on having little girl somethings so my target audience will be broader. got any cute ideas? I already have a brand name ready to go.

Burlene said...

Great job, love the pics. We will have to be sure to attend next year! As for ideas...what about the headbands all a rage....

Rachel said...

You could make mini handbags. I know that Madeline is just in love with petite purses! I'm going to sew her one or two for Christmas.