Saturday, November 6, 2010

I don't usually post recipes

but this was seriously so good! mmmmm I think I'll go have me a piece right now while I'm typing. That way I can really get into it.

Mushroom and Chicken Lasagna (I actually called it "White Lasagna" to keep those wary of mushrooms from freaking out)
adapted from Portobello Mushroom Lasagna, Barefoot Contessa at Home

Ingredients
Kosher Salt
Good Olive Oil
3/4 pound lasagna noodles (she used the kind you boil, I used the oven-ready kind)
4 cups whole milk
12 TBS (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, divided (not sure I used all this...)
2 Cloves Garlic, minced (orig. recipe didn't have any garlic but it really is suuuuuper tasty so add it)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg (she said to use 1 tsp but that seems waaaay over kill)
1 1/2 pounds mushrooms (I only bought one package of cremini mushrooms but I'd prob use more if I had them. Also, she said to use Portobello but in the actual episode she used a mixed assortment of local wild mushrooms)
1 cup ground Parmesan (I just used the canned stuff. I bet it would knock your socks off if you spent money on the real stuff and ground it yourself.)
2(ish) Chicken breasts

Directions
Preheat oven to 375*.

Boil the lasagna noodles if you need to. Oven ready skips this step (also, I ended up making this a day in advanced so by the time we got around to cooking it the noodles were soft from the sauce. Ended up working in our favor, I think, because we didn't ever get any undercooked pieces.)

For the white sauce, bring the milk to a simmer in a saucepan and set aside. Melt 8 TBS butter (um, yeah. not low-cal). Add the garlic and stir until fragrant (about 30 seconds).Add the flour and cook 1 min over low heat, stirring constantly. Pour in the hot milk all at once, then add 1 tsp salt, the pepper, and the nutmeg, and cook over med heat for 3-5 minutes (switch to a whisk about 3 min in), until thick. Set aside off the heat.

Wash your mushrooms (some people say you shouldn't rinse mushrooms but thats just gross and a pain so rinse away. They're going in wet stuff anyway...) De-stem them and slice 1/4 inch thick.  Stick in a bowl and set aside for  the moment.

Prep your chicken and fillet into cutlets (slice them in half so they're thin--cutting parallel to your cutting board). Sprinkle with some garlic and salt and pepper (or just use the Johnny's Garlic Bread Sprinkles) and cook in a med. pan with a little olive oil. Place on a plate and let rest.

Melt a few more TBS of butter with a few TBS of olive oil in the pan with the chicken drippings/goodness and then add your mushrooms. Sprinkle with a little salt and saute until tender and they start to release their juices. Set aside.

Cut up your chicken into small chucks (so they will work in the layers of lasagna). Now its time to assemble!!

Spread a quarter of the white-sauce in the bottom of an 8"x12"x2" baking dish. Arrange a layer of noodles, then another quarter of the sauce, then 1/2 of the mushrooms and 1/2 the chicken, then 1/4 cup Parmesan (I just sprinkled until it looked good). Repeat again. Then Top with final layer of noodles and sauce and sprinkle the top with more Parmesan.

(**REMEMBER, more sauce=way good lasagna that isn't dry or crumbly or yucky**) Use all the sauce the recipe makes. Promise. Its good.

Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes, or until the top is browned slightly and the sauce is bubbly and hot. Allow to sit at room temp for 15 min (important if you don't want goopy lasagna that runs everywhere) and serve.

1 comment:

Korry.Taffee.Jaci.Milo said...

Sounds YUMMY! Lasagna is my HUBBYs FAVORITE! I might have to find a couple mins ad WHIP this up for him:) Post MORE recipes... I LOVE new YUMMY ideas!